Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tenkara at the Swift.

When i got my Tenkara rod, they warned me that bringing it to the Swift River in Massachusetts was a little risky for the rod, so what did I do? I went to the Swift and fooled an 18in rainbow trout into hitting my #24 nymph. One must use fairly small things on this river, i don't know why, but hey, it works! I hooked this lovely fish just below the Y-Pool. He was sitting behind a few branches in exceedingly slow water. It was actually a surprise when I saw him because I had been working some trout that had lined up behind me, as trout do in this river because they know that when we walk we kick up nymphs and the like. There were about three to four i was trying to fool, one must have been in excess of 20in; these trout are big. However, since I had no luck with them, I decided to cast to the area where this trout was holding. ( I had also just put a white foam indicator on) On the first cast, before everything had even settled, I saw the trout's tail and set the hook. I had him on! The fight seemed like nothing, I knew Tenkara could handle these guys. Meanwhile I was screaming to my dad to come down to the bank so I he could snap a shot, which he did with great success as you can see below. It's days like these where the Swift really is my favorite river.

Gearing up for the day





And of course, the day didn't stop there...I went on into the feeder stream and just missed a good size rainbow. A guy told me to use something the fish hadn't seen before, and so i did. I was using a florescent orange scud fly and some split shot under the white indicator. I threw it at this fish and it came out of its feeding lane, at least four feet, to smack this fly. I was in awe to the point that I forgot to set the hook, but by the time i did, the fish was off. I did the same to another trout, but there was no further success for the day. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment